What will happen at the CERN Tweetup?
On Wednesday 25 July 2012, CERN is organizing its first ever tweetup to coincide with a special visit of six astronauts from ESA and NASA. You could be one of a handful of @CERN Twitter followers who will experience an unforgettable day:
- Get the chance to see behind the scenes at CERN, the European Laboratory for Particle Physics.
- See the control centre of the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) cosmic ray detector, which was launched into space last year.
- Join the official inauguration of this control centre by the 6 astronauts that flew the detector to the International Space Centre.
- Tweet from the press conference “AMS, one year in space”.
- Visit the CERN Large Hadron Collider control centre.
- Witness where the World Wide Web was born.
- Be part of an audience of CERN physicists to hear the astronauts’ stories in the Main Auditorium, sitting in the same room where the Higgs Boson results were announced on 4 July.
An opportunity not to be missed!
How do I register?
To register you must complete the online registration form below. Registration opens at 12.00 CEST on Wednesday 11 July and closes at 23.59 CEST on Sunday 15 July 2012. CERN will select participants from those who sign up using the web form. We will make a further selection via a short video interview. Those who progress to this second round will be informed by 20:00 CEST on 16 July. Unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted. Only one application per person will be accepted.
Do I need to have a Twitter account to apply?
Yes. This CERN Tweetup is designed for social media users who follow @CERN on Twitter.
What are CERN Tweetup registration requirements?
Applicants must be 18 or over. By registering for CERN Tweetup, you indicate that you intend to travel to CERN, Geneva for Wednesday 25 July 2012 and attend the event in person. You are responsible for your own expenses and logistics for travel, accommodation, and other costs, however lunch on the day will be provided. CERN is not responsible for loss or damage incurred as a result of attending this event, or if the event is cancelled with limited or no notice. You will need to bring a passport or equivalent with you that matches the information provided on the application form, both for identity purposes and because you will cross the border of Switzerland and France during the event. Photos will be taken at this event and registering for this CERN Tweetup implies consent to appear in any photos used by CERN or any other third parties.
Which nationalities are able to apply?
Any nationality can apply. Please be aware that this tweetup will be in English. We remind you that you are responsible for all costs including travel and accommodation.
Can I bring a guest?
No, each place is for one person only (you) and is non-transferable. Each individual wishing to attend must register separately.
What if I cannot come to the event?
If you are unable to get to Geneva for Wednesday 25 July, you should not register for this CERN Tweetup. You can instead follow the conversation on the #CERNtweetup hashtag on Twitter.
Does registration for and/or attendance at the CERN Tweetup qualify me for media accreditation?
No, registration and/or attendance does not qualify you for news media credentials at any CERN event, now or in the future.
Have you got a question that hasn’t been answered here? Need more information? Email us at email@example.com